Sunday, February 24, 2013

it begins with a bang

 
The 85th Academy Awards.
 
Tonight, I will be viewing perhaps my favorite event of the year, the Oscars. The film award season has led up to this, and in roughly nine hours, we'll know exactly who is going home a winner.
 
This particular event has somehow prompted me to write a blog. Why? No one knows. Perhaps it has something to do with the magic of it all.
 
Films are not just entertainment. Films are art. They have the power to enchant the viewer, to move the viewer to tears, to let the viewer crawl inside a world and live there. I'm not quite sure when I was first captivated by the art of film or filmmaking, but I do know that, tonight at the Oscars, myself along with millions of viewers will see history being made, films being honored, and hard work paying off. And it will be spectacular.
 
And that is something you just cannot miss.
 
So tonight, when the winners step up to be recognized, take a long look at their faces, listen closely to their speeches, and share in their joy; they are celebrating a very profound and astounding art.

My predictions for this year's Academy Awards are as follows:
Best Picture: Argo
Actor in a Leading Role: Daniel Day-Lewis
Actress in a Leading Role: Jessica Chastain
Actor in a Supporting Role: Philip Seymour Hoffman
Actress in a Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway
Animated Feature Film: Brave
Cinematography: Life of Pi
Costume Design: Lincoln
Directing: Lincoln

Documentary Feature: Searching for Sugar Man
Documentary Short: Redemption
Film Editing: Zero Dark Thirty
Foreign Language Film: Amour
Makeup and Hairstyling: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Music (Original Score): Argo
Music (Original Song): "Skyfall" from Skyfall
Production Design: Lincoln
Short Film (Animated): Paperman
Short Film (Live Action): Henry
Sound Editing: Skyfall
Sound Mixing: Les Misérables
Visual Effects: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Argo
Writing (Original Screenplay): Zero Dark Thirty

If you see films for something more, or maybe you just enjoy a good story, follow me along my journey in the blogosphere. I'll let you know which pictures are worth watching, and which flicks just don't make the final cut. Posts glorifying specific actors and directors can be expected. Perhaps you'll get to know a little bit about me. Or perhaps, later down the road, I'll start a personal blog? Hm.

Who knows where this will lead? My exploration in film arts has just begun.
xx
picture credit: oneclickroot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment